Passport & Visas

THIS INFORMATION FOR: • Singers • Pianists • Instrumentalists • Faculty/Staff • Visitors

All travelers, including children, leaving the United States and planning to return to the USA must have a valid passport. Check government web site for latest information.

If you have a valid passport, CHECK THE EXPIRATION DATE NOW to make sure it is valid for longer than the duration of your travel outside the United States. If you do not have a valid passportapply immediately! Yesterday would not have been too soon! New applications can take several weeks to months. APPLY NOW even though you are not completely sure you will attend Vianden Festival & School.

If you are not traveling with a U.S. passport, you may need a visa to transit (land and change planes) certain countries and to enter Luxembourg. If you do not have the proper documents, you will not be allowed to change planes and will be detained by the police.


U.S. Citizens
For detailed official information on passport application, visit web site has much more information than can be included here.

The U.S. Passport Office in your city is usually located in Post Offices or the Courthouse. When applying for the first time, or certain other stipulations, you must appear in person. Depending on the location, the rules vary as to how you can pay. Please see the web site to avoid inconvenience.

You will need:

  • Certified copy of your birth certificate, your old passport or naturalization papers
  • Two photographs, size 2 x 2 inches, black & white (non-gloss, matte finish), or color photos with light background (less that six months old), check or money order made payable to the Passport Office) or $40.00 for children ages 16 and under. Adult passports are valid for 10 years; children’s for 5 years.

Check for current prices on web site to avoid inconvenience! Verify with the location what they will accept.

  • Valid Driver License, any state
  • Certified proof of any name change

Allow a minimum of 3 weeks to obtain your passport.


U.S. Citizens
If you are a citizen of the United States, a Visa is not required to visit Luxembourg, other European Union countries and most other European countries.

NON-U.S. Citizens
If your passport WAS NOT issued by the United States, you MUST contact the Luxembourg Embassy in Washington, DC (

Embassy of the Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg Washington, DC, 2200 Mass. Avenue, Washington, DC 20008
Tel: (202) 265-4171, Fax: (202) 328-8270 or the nearest Luxembourgean consulate in your respective country about a VISA to enter Luxembourg. If an Luxembourgean VISA is required for citizens of your country, you MUST APPLY and OBTAIN the VISA BEFORE you travel.

It is your personal responsibility to inquire in Luxembourgish consulate/embassy about currect requirements for the Visa application and to communicate this information to us. The best would be obtaining printed version of the requirements  and email it to us.

If requested by the Luxembourgish consulate/embassy, Vianden Festival will supply a letter, content of which will correspond to the current Visa requirement as communicated to us by you, certifying your status as a Vianden Festival participant. First, show the officials your acceptance letter/email or contract.

Please be aware, that Festival can issue only one letter of confirmation. Therefore, the information you communicate to us must be current and precise.

Obtaining a VISA may be slow and complicated. ACT NOW!

Warning: It is essential for you to determine that your papers are in order for your RE-ENTRY into the United States. If you are returning to the U.S., investigate this now! Vianden Festival cannot help you if you do not have the proper documents.

Vianden Festival can neither help you if you do not have the proper documents nor be responsible for any problems with Visa due to late or incorrect information you may supply to us.